- The EDEAQ is legally established and recognised/certified by the Peruvian Ministry of Education.
- Swiss Management, which means high (i.e. “Swiss”) standards regarding the quality and consistency of the services – and enquiries are answered within 24 hours.
- Qualified and experienced teaching staff of Spanish mother tongue (with Teaching Diploma and/or Diploma in Applied Linguistics and/or Diploma in Special Education/Learning Psychology). All teachers fluently speak one or more foreign languages (all of them English, and some of them German and/or French as well) and therefore know what learning a foreign language truly means.
- The School (quiet and bright classrooms) is located in the city center, 50 m from the Plaza de Armas (Main/Cathedral Square).
- First rate references (refer to the page “School and References“). – Please also note that the EDEAQ is mentioned/recommended in several travel guides, such as Lonely Planet, South American Handbook (Footprint Travel Guide), and Reise Know-How (Germany, i.e. in German).
WiFi on the entire premises – desktop computers plus one laser printer/scanner/photocopier are available.
Table of Contents
- Private Classes (One-to-One Lessons).
- DELE Preparation Courses. The EDEAQ offers special courses (private classes of between 20 and 30 lessons per week) for students who would like to prepare for the “Diploma de Español como Lengua Extranjera” (DELE).
- Small Group Classes. Minimum two, maximum five students per group.
- “Affinity Group” Classes. The participants (minimum: two; maximum: five) the know each other, and they book the course together forming a small group of their own. “Affinity Group” also means: starting date, course duration and performance level ought to be identical for all participants.
- Standard Course. 20 lessons per week (on five consecutive days from Monday to Friday – a lesson is 55 min.), during one, two, three or more weeks.
- Intensive Course I. 24 lessons per week (on five consecutive days from Monday to Friday – a lesson is 55 min.), during one, two, three or more weeks.
- Intensive Course II. 28 lessons per week (on five consecutive days from Monday to Friday – a lesson is 55 min.), during one, two, three or more weeks.
In case of private classes or “Affinity Group” classes, starting days other than a Monday and a course duration of less than five consecutive days and/or 20 lessons per week may be considered.
One-Day Courses. Minimum: two lessons per day (a lesson is 55 min.). Additional lessons upon request/agreement.
Bildungsurlaub (Leave for Further Education). Number of lessons per day: six (a lesson is 60 min.). Number of course days per week: five. – Please also refer to www.edeaq.com/wp/de/bildungsurlaub
Course days are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Classes on Saturdays and/or Sundays are – in principle – possible, but cannot be guaranteed.
Timetable / Class Schedules
09:10 h – 10:05 h / 10:10 h – 11:05 h / 11:25 h – 12:20 h / 12:25 h – 13:20 h. – A lesson is 55 minutes. – In exceptional cases, the morning lessons begin at 08:10 h or at 10:10 h or at 11:25 h. – Afternoon lessons begin at 14:00 h or at 15:00 h or at 16:00 h. – If circumstances make it necessary, classes (entirely or partially) may be shifted/rescheduled (also at short notice) from morning to the afternoon. – The School strives to meet any possible individual requests of their students with regard to class schedules.
Classes are held on six performance levels, according to the classification of the “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages” (CERF): Beginner I + II, intermediate I + II, Advanced I + II. – For a description of the six levels, click here
Assessment Test and Certificate of Participation
During the first lesson, each student whose performance level is Beginner I/II or higher completes an assessment test that determines the level at which he/she will be placed. – Certificate of Participation upon request.
The EDEAQ offers four lodging options:
- Homestay (Host Family). Single room (with own/private bathroom/shower-WC), including breakfast. For students travelling together double/twin-bedded rooms are available. – During the summer holiday season (mid-December to early March) the availability of host families is limited.
- **Hostel (Hostal Los Andes), Very good budget/backpacker standard. Located in the same building as the School.
- ***Hostel (Hostal Las Mercedes). Cozy standard middle class guesthouse, within walking distance of the school (10 min.).
- ***Hotel (Hotel Tierra Sur), Very good middle class hotel, within walking distance of the school (5 min.).
Culture, Leisure, Sports, Travel, Car Rental
- Weekly handout listing local current cultural events. – Sample copy (19 September 2012) click here
- Sports options include trekking, mountain climbing, hiking, river rafting, kayaking, mountain biking, etc. Short term memberships at the “Club Internacional Arequipa”, the best equipped sports club (indoor and outdoor pools, tennis, aerobics/gym, basketball, association football/soccer, track and field, etc.), are available at extremely competitive rates. – Information about other leisure activities (dancing and cooking classes, yoga, music lessons, etc.).
- Advice for travel and weekend excursions “on your own”, as well as for journeys in Peru and the rest of Latin America.
- Car rental: you need your national or EU driving license and your credit card(s) for deposits. – Before you rent a car through an agency or online, we recommend that you to contact the EDEAQ in order to get pertinent advice.
Unique Aspects of the EDEAQ
- Mid-sized school with professional (Swiss) management, offering excellent extra-curricular care and services.
- Demanding and challenging teaching, oriented toward building solid language skills.
- High level of flexibility and customer-friendliness (also refer to “Booking Conditions“, in particular to the paragraphs 3.2.8. and 3.2.9.).
EDEAQ’s prices are clear-cut (no extra charges for course material or enrolment fees, etc.). Furthermore, a lesson at the EDEAQ lasts 55 minutes, not 45 or 50, as in most language schools. When comparing prices with other schools, please take this into consideration.
Contact with the EDEAQ
To enrol, please complete the online registration form (“Registration“). If you prefer to get in touch with us before you register, please contact us by e-mail. Although we are a Spanish Language School, we encourage you to correspond with us in English or German (in exceptional cases in French, Spanish and Portuguese too), and we will respond in English or German (in exceptional cases in French or Spanish). – And please do not forget to mark our e-mail address ( email@example.com ) as safe.
In the event that e-mail is not available, you can also contact us by telephone. Please let the phone ring for some time, and in the event no connection is established, please try again. When calling, take into consideration the time difference with Peru. European countries for instance are ahead between five and eight hours, depending upon time zone and season of the year.
EDEAQ – Escuela de Español Ari Quipay
Calle La Merced 123 (entrance Hostal Los Andes)
Arequipa – Peru
Phone (Monday to Friday: 07:00 h to 14:30 h and 17:30 h to 21:30 h)
Phone (Saturday / Sunday: 09:00 h to 14:30 h and 17:30 h to 21:30 h)
+51 54 27 25 17 or +51 95 956 82 17 or +51 95 934 26 60 or +51 95 956 03 09
|Text management, editing, photos:||Max Seelhofer|
|Proof-reading:||Kathleen Peters, Pamela Harmsen,
Ellen Purcell, Shana Bertetto, Joy Weatherwax
|Webmaster:||Max Seelhofer – firstname.lastname@example.org